Name:
Location: West Henrietta, New York, United States

Saturday, July 08, 2006

"Daddy, I LOVE him!"

Does it bother anyone else that The Little Mermaid is about a 16-year old girl who gets married? I guess you could argue that it was common practice for royalty in the 1800s, when the original story was written, to marry at an extremely young age. Then again, in the original story, she kills herself.

I suppose when I was a little girl watching it, I thought 16 was old, and a fine time to tie the knot. Through the eyes of that little girl, I should be celebrating my seventh anniversary.

And how about the major unresolved conflict in the film, that no one talks about? The whole reason for the rift between merpeople and humans, the undercurrent of tension that moves the plot forward, is the fact that human beings are barbarians who eat fish. Nowhere in the course of the narrative do humans vow to stop killing and eating their kind, but at the end, merpeople, fish, dolphins, crabs, etc. are all gathered to celebrate the newfound peace between creatures of land and sea. Maybe that scene was cut, and humans have promised to become vegetarians, or at least to keep the "surf" out of their surf 'n turf. Or maybe Ariel serves Sebastian with a side of Flounder at her reception.

Soundtrack to this blog: The Vandals, Unseen Tears of the Albacore.

Don't ask me why I came up with all of this while I was in the shower just now. No idea.

Pride parade tonight! YAY!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

How was the Gay Pride Parade?? Were Billy and Davey there?

6:59 PM  
Blogger liam said...

Hmmm. such an uplifting topic. You and tim should combine thoughts sometime. Very morbid.

By the way i had a big basket of shrimp the other night with cocktail sauce. Mmmmmmmm good!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Xtine said...

Hmmm... first this post, then the cheese one. I think you need a little more FRUTH in your diet... you must be lacking it and thus the strange posts.... :)

FREE FUN! ::)

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home